cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

REI x Subaru TerraCycle Recycling Program - divert your snack wrappers from landfills!

Did you know, thanks to our friends at Subaru, you can now recycle snack wrappers at all REI stores via TerraCycle Zero Waste Boxes?

That's right! Although temporarily paused in 2020, you can again recycle snack wrappers at an REI store near you, thanks to a partnership with Subaru!

How does it work? Just bring your clean, candy and cookie wrappers, and individual, multipack and family-size snack bags to your closest REI store and drop them in the Terracycle bin. Terracycle then takes this 'hard-to-recycle' waste and converts the snack wrappers to useful, high-quality recycled products like picnic tables, benches and playground materials. To date, REI locations have gathered over 3,700 pounds of waste!

Please join us in this effort! Share your ideas, your pictures, your successes and your challenges as you add this habit to your day-to-day life.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
27 Replies

I see this post is from The Before Times.  Is REI still providing receptacles in stores for recycling snack wrappers?  Thank you!

0 Likes

@dthb Thanks for reaching out!

This is a timely question as we have received several inquiries about this program recently.  Another user posted above in this conversation and we recently had a similar post, Snack wrapper recycling at REI. The Subaru Snack Wrapper recycling program is currently undergoing some updates in our local REI stores. You will need to reach out to your store to see if they currently have their Terracycle boxes out on their sales floor at this time. If they do not have them out yet the store should be able to let you know what their timeline should be.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

Thanks, John!  I called my local REI and the associate confirmed there is a Terracycle box for snack wrappers right next to the entrance.  Huzzah! 

Best wishes for a safe, healthy, and adventure-filled new year of life for the entire REI Family!

~Deena

Anyone have any guidance on cleaning snackbags without using a shocking amount of water? Is it better to just shake them out and leave the oil and minute crumbs or does that ruin the batch?

0 Likes

@JennlovestheBWCA 

Thanks for reaching out!

We'll see if we can track down an answer to this question and circle back with you here in the community. Thanks for your patience!

0 Likes

Hi @JennlovestheBWCA - We heard back from our sustainability team and having some grease/crumbs in your snack wrappers is okay! You wouldn't want to leave something like a half eaten protein bar in them, as that would invite pests and create odor, but the small stuff is to be expected and acceptable. 

Thanks for putting in the work to keep unnecessary items out of the landfill. Please come back to us if you have any more questions about the program! 

Does this include Mountain House pouches? I know Mountain House is a Terracycle partner and I can send my pouches in but wondering if we can also drop them in these bins at REI. Thank you, REI and Subaru!!! 

0 Likes

@kjknows @Luv2Kayak @smarisblum 

We wanted to circle back with you here with an update on Mountain House pouch recycling! While you are not able to return these pouches to your local REI store via the Terracycle Zero Waste Boxes, there is now an option for recycling. Please visit the Terracycle Mountain House Recycling Program website for more information. While it is completely free, at this time Terracycle is only able to accept Mountain House pouches, not other vendors.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

AMAZING! Thank you!

0 Likes

@REI-CarterCI'd love to know about the Mountain House pouches as well.  I seem to go through lots of them.  Would love it if we can put those in the TerraCycle box.

0 Likes