cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

recycling 1lb propane canisters

So I was just reading with interest the conversation on recycling iso-pro canisters.  That usually isn't an issue for us as we just give away our leftovers as we are getting on an airplane to fly home.  But I do have a growing collection of 1lb propane canisters from our Colman grill we use when car camping.  Any thoughts on those?  They would be much harder to puncture as I believe the cans are steel, and if we could puncture them, could we recycle them with mixed metal?  I'm pretty sure they can't be refilled like the big ones for patio grills.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes
4 Replies

Actually you can refill those one lb canisters, Amazon and several others make adapter fill valves and there’s several you tube videos showing how

0 Likes

How interesting. Thanks @Graf , I'll have to look into that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

So we have more empties than we'd ever want to refill.  Does anyone have a suggestion for how to puncture one or remove the valve?

Found Myself Outside
0 Likes

BTW, by DOT rules you aren't supposed to transport refilled disposable canisters. Just because they make an adapter to refill them doesn't mean it's a great idea. The metal gets stressed each time they're filled and they're only designed to be filled once. Plenty of people do it though. 

Anyway, you can punch a hole in them (big nail or screwdriver and a hammer) and then they can be scrapped as "mixed metal" or around here some places call it "tin". 

A better idea to eliminate this problem is to buy refillable canisters, they come in several sizes, or buy an adapter to use a 20 lb tank (like your home bbq grill uses) to attach to your portable grill.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes