cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Opt to Act - Simple Action #7: Recycle snack wrappers

Join REI in making the fight for life outdoors part of your life with The Opt to Act Plan - 52 weeks of simple actions to reduce your impact, get active, and leave the world better than you found it. Full details can be found here.

Action #7: Recycle snack wrappers in a Subaru Loves the Earth TerraCycle bin at your local REI.

You can now recycle snack wrappers at an REI store near you, thanks to a partnership with Subaru. As long as they’re clean, individual, multipack and family-size snack bags and wrappers, including chip, candy and granola wrappers, are all accepted. Collect all your snack wrappers and bring them with the next time you stop by REI.

We’d love to see and hear your ideas, your pictures, your successes and your challenges as you add this habit to your day-to-day life. Share below!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
15 Replies

Hi,

I'm curious.  Because painted aluminum beer cans require a full semi truck order size per brand, a lot of craft breweries are using blank cans and attaching either a heat-shrunk plastic wrap or an adhesive plastic label to their cans.  I put these labels in the trash every time I put the cans in the recycling bin.  Can I save these beer can labels for the same snack wrapper bin at REI?

Cheers,
Chris

0 Likes

@crknott311 this is a great question! We have reached out to Terracycle for guidance on if those beer can labels can be accepted in the recycling bins; we'll let you know as soon as we hear back!

0 Likes

I can ship several samples to Terracycle at my own expense if it helps.

0 Likes

@crknott311 you could reach out to Terracycle here and see what they say!

0 Likes

@crknott311 we heard back from Terracycle and it sounds like because the labels you mention are very similar material make-up to that of candy and snack wrappers, it shouldn't be an issue if you were to place them in the same boxes. Thanks for inquiring! 

0 Likes

That's great news!  I'll spread the word.

Hello REI!

Are all of your stores still accepting all snack bags and wrappers? I have been saving mine for quite some time, while looking for a drop off location.

Thank you so much!

Sandra

0 Likes

@Sandra Thanks for reaching out!

This is a timely question, another user, @MKS, recently asked a similar one in their post, Snack wrapper recycling at REI. The Subaru Snack Wrapper recycling program is currently undergoing some updates so we encourage you to reach out to your local REI store to see if they currently have their Terracycle boxes out on their sales floor and available for customer use. If they do not have them out yet the store should be able to let you know what their timeline should be.

Hopefully this helps. Thank you for saving those wrappers and thinking of us!

Thanks for the response, @REI-JohnJ  John! I called the San Francisco store and, unfortunately, it sounds like the Terracycle box onsite is only for employee use and not for the public. Oh wells. I will continue checking back in to see what updates Subaru announces.

Thanks for all of your help. Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

0 Likes