cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Idea for Used Gear

Just a heads up for an idea to share. I moved during Covid. Had over 30 years worth of REI backpacking, camping, hiking, canoeing gear....could have taken much of it to the "garage sale" with REI store. But decided to make another decision based on my values. I value the out of doors. I value nature. I value our landscapes. I want the next generation to love to be out of doors, but most of the twenty somethings I know don't have funds to purchase REI equipment. SO, I invited some I know to over to my home (masks on, socially distanced) and choose what they wanted according to  their interests. Some took the backpacking gear; others took the camping/hiking gear. Still others took the canoe gear....all in all, I was thrilled at their stories about longing to get out into the backwoods but not having proper equipment. After almost all the equipment was given away, I felt such a sense of excitement that these young people might perhaps begin their own love affair with nature like I have had for almost forty years....what a thrill!

1 Reply

Hi @SkyeBoyd46 - Wow. Thank you so much for sharing that with us. It sounds like you really impacted people and their access to the outdoors with your gear! That sense of excitement is well earned. 

We're so glad you have joined this community. With forty years of camping, hiking and canoeing adventures, we imagine you have many stories to tell yourself! It would be great to hear some highlights, especially around sustainability, if you're willing to share. We imagine you will find many other community members that are great to engage with, learn from, and share your expertise with too!

Welcome to the community!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes