cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Re: How can I recycle Coleman used propane canisters?

Hello! Do y'all accept these for recycling? If not, do you know where I take them? Many thanks! 

0 Likes
3 Replies

@es0519 

Thanks for reaching out and for thinking sustainably about your propane canisters! We are not able to accept propane canisters for recycling at this time. Typically, these canisters are made of steel and need to be completely empty before being recycled. You may be able to find a way to recycle them at your local transfer site/recycling facility. Additionally, you can take a look at this conversation, What to do with used 1lb propane cylinders?, for some other ideas from users in our community.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Good morning!  I saw something online about a "green key" that allows the canister to be completely emptied and okay for recycle.  Have you heard anything about the Coleman Green Key?

0 Likes

@Brownie_Brown 

Thanks for reaching out and for the suggestion!

Unfortunately, shortly after debuting the 'green key' system for it's propane canisters, Coleman stopped including them with the canister because many recycling facilities across the country were still unable to accept the canisters for recycling, even with the 'green key'. These 'green keys' are still available to purchase in some places, including some imitations. It sounds like you need to check with your local recycling facility to see if they are able to accept a propane canister emptied with the 'green key'.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes