cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Earn new badges for your Cooperative Action participation!

Earlier this year we launched Cooperative Action, a platform to scale our impact in the fight for a life outside. It's the place where we get things done, together. When we originally shared this with you all back in April, it was fun to hear your responses and suggestions about Recommerce and the Cooperative Action Network. Now it's time to celebrate your participation!

badges_CAN_2.png

Have you purchased or traded-in used gear? Have you e-mailed Congress about protecting and sharing a life outdoors? Let us know which activity you've participated in and you'll earn a new badge for your Conversations profile!

How have you joined in the fight for life outdoors?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
11 Replies

@hikermor@Luv2Kayak@jaq73@Priscilla@Rob6@SILHiker@Icewright@jmd@Dad_Aint_Hip@JennyinAlaska - Based on previous posts y'all have shared in the community, from talking about used gear to sharing excitement about raising your voices for the outdoors, we wanted to see if any of you have joined in on either of these activities or taken a look at Cooperative Action.

It would be fun to hand out some well-earned badges!

0 Likes

Most famous movie line ever - "Badges?  What badges?  we don't need no stinking badges..."  

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Very honestly, I don't post here to get badges.  What purpose do they serve?  I come here for informed discourse and reliable information, both giving and receiving

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thanks for the call-out @REI-CarterC.  And, @hikermor , I am disappointed that you beat me to the movie quote.  I thought that quoting movies was my single greatest contribution to this site.

I have bought a boatload of stuff from the Used site.  Most recently 2 pair of Black Diamond shorts.  I've also made purchases from Patagonia's Worn Wear site, and, like @hikermor , I didn't do it for the badges.  I am, however, happy to earn additional badges, especially if it will help to promote more environmentally conscious decisions by the Community at large.

0 Likes

Now, for extra credit, who was the actor who gave us that line?  Darned if I can recall....

Wearing the NPS uniform for many years, I often heard that line....

Humphrey Bogart was the star of the movie, but that line was uttered by a secondary, or even tertiary character.  IMDB here I come! 

0 Likes

Th line was given by the leader of the bad guys opposing HB.  I can't recall his name but he was a prominent ethnic actor of the period - left quite a legacy

0 Likes

@hikermor and @Rob6 - Is this where I admit to you all that I have almost zero movie knowledge and that one went right over my head? From the quote, I seems like I lined that one up quite perfectly! A visit to YouTube is probably in order for me. 

It's always good to know that it's the conversations that are keeping people coming back to this community. We're certainly happy to hear that. As Rob mentioned , these badges are just a little way to share enthusiasm for activities REI and our members find valuable and are excited about!

Used gear has always been fun for me. I try my hardest to put my gear to the test over and over again, so it's wonderful to think about what sort of moments the used stuff has had before it was in my hands!

0 Likes

Hi @REI-CarterC .  I don't put that much thought into where the Used gear has been, or what it has done.  I am just .... shall we say.... Thrifty?  😁

And I do like that it keeps gear out of the landfills.

@hikermor 

The character was simply referred to as "Gold Hat", portrayed by Alfonso Bedoya.

0 Likes

Right you are!   I just read the discussion of the film in Wikipedia and I didn't even quote the line right!

0 Likes