cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

First backpacking trip in WI

I have decided that by the end of the year, I am going to hike the Glacial Drumlin Trail here in Wisconsin. It will be my first backpacking adventure. While it will be solo, I will have support available to me. It’s a 52mi trail with a few places to camp along the way. 

Any suggestions aside from comfy shoes? I will be sure to read up the other first time posts here as well, don’t worry. I know there is a lot of great information here.

Kb9nbd_0-1625538802920.png

7 Replies

B sure you can deal with the expected temperatures, and any associated weather, you may encounter.

Sounds like fun!!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Hoping to make it late enough that insane temps during the day are not an issue, but early enough to not have to worry too much about freezing temps. My small solitaire tent is a 3 season and I have comfortably camped down to around 45º.

it will be close enough that I can abandon the trip and have a friend drive 45min to pick me up. 

I'm a new backpacker, too, and the best thing I did for myself was to set a date on the calendar for that first trip. That gave me a deadline for decision-making, planning, etc. And you've already made the most important decision - where to go!

Are you doing any day-hiking? 51 miles is a nice trip but if you're not used to hiking with weight, I would start putting stuff into my pack and walking around the neighborhood or local trails just to get a feel for it.

Will you go solo or do you have someone(s) to hike with?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

That’s the big reason i have not set a date yet. I don’t do much more than just some leisurely hiking around some of the state parks. Between being a former firefighter with wearing all that gear, and my years and years of being a photographer and carrying my gear, I am used to having a decent amount of weight on my back. 

This trip will not see my main camera. I will simply have my phone to allow me to do video and some photos, but mostly to be able to document and log places I may want to come back to photograph another time.

I plan on getting out a bit more after my Yellowstone trip in less than 2 weeks to do some more day hiking type activity and I will be sure to simulate the weight I would need to carry.

@Kb9nbd - I know the trail well enough that sections of it are actually along busier roads in the central, southern, and eastern parts of the state.  A reflective beacon and light for the back of the pack or highly reflective pack would be good for those sections.  The northern part is decently remote.

This is the smaller, much more manageable trail not the ice age trail. While it does look like it ventures closer to roads in some places, i should be away from major traffic for nearly all of it.  

However, that is not a bad idea and I will likely pick something up.  

Thank you

You are correct, I was thinking of the whole stretch on ice age.  If you have time, short detour at Lapham to get to the fire tower for some good views!