cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

Avoid the Parsnips, SW State Parts

Just got back from camping at Yellowstone Lake state park and there were tons of cow parsnip and wild parsnip.  These plants cause severe burns if they contact your skin then are exposed to sun and the signage about them was not placed as close to the trail heads as it should have to warn hikers and bikers.  I didn't notice them as much by the camp sites, but the trails were FULL of them.  Long pants, long sleeves, and don't go off the paths.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
7 Replies

dang! thanks for the heads up, got a photo of them?

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@Philreedshikes I didn't personally take any photos of them because I was trying to keep the kids in the center of the path, but they are easy to spot when blooming because of the distinctive flowers and the large height of up to 4'.  The yearlings though are hard to spot because they are low to the ground and have no flowers, only the leaves give them away.   A friend of mine got severely burnt removing these from his lawn years ago, which is the only reason I know about them.

Here are some photos from the DNR.  The yellow ones are wild parsnip, the white are cow parsnip.  They have different leaves, but similar flowers and both will burn.  Burns take a day or two to show up which makes it even worse.  There is a similar, but much worse plant called giant hogsweed that can be 15' tall, but I have never seen any of them.  I think those are more common in the northeast and northwest.  There have been some reports of giant hogsweed in the midwest great lakes area, but those could have just been cow parsnip.

Wild

Diesseldorf_0-1655236902079.png

Cow

Diesseldorf_1-1655236934355.png

Diesseldorf_2-1655236959676.png

Diesseldorf_3-1655236973283.png

thank you sir!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Holy Cow Parsnips Batman!

Thank you for the “hazardous plants along the trail” alert and excellent photos. 👍

Interesting.

It is apparently, a native North American plant and common except in the South East.  It is actually edible if peeled and good fodder for many animals including bears. The other catch apart from the peel, is that it is easily confused with poison hemlock which is potentially deadly ...so probably best not to eat it.

Apparently it is the clear sap that causes the nasty blisters.  It is UV activated so most likely to cause problems on sunny days if you wack through it. Giant Hogweed, which is related but non native, has the same issue.

Another poisonous plant to avoid commonly found along the trail in S California and the PCT is Poodle Dog Brush which can give you a poison oak like rash. Apparently some people have confused it with Marajuana and smoked it putting themselves in the hospital...so don't do that.

https://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trails/pacific-crest-trail/the-poodle-dog-bush/

Good advice Diesseldorf. Well taken.

But then there's this:

https://foragerchef.com/cow-parsnip-seeds/

I'm hoping to harvest some when they dry out.

As Friar Laurence says in Romeo and Juliet, "For nought so vile that on the earth doth live
But to the earth some special good doth give..."

@TomIrvine Well there will be plenty to harvest, though I won't be the one doing that!  I don't think they should be removed, but I do think the trailheads deserve some proper warning signs as most people don't know the dangers of wandering off the path when the woods are full of what look like just nice flowers.

@OldGuyot ouch to the guy who smoked the poodle dog bush!  I hope he recovered.

0 Likes