cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Quick Trip to Moab - Looking for best places to hike

Hello! A few of us are heading to Colorado/Utah in a couple weeks and will be spending most of our time in Moab. Looking for suggestions for best trails to hit, best places to see and also looking for a resource for ATV rental. Is there anyone who can provide some suggestions?

Thanks!

Eric

0 Likes
6 Replies

Needles Unit of Canyonlands NP is known as the hikers' park. The Island in the Sky Unit has shorter dayhikes, and the dirt drive down to the Colorado River is unforgettable.

Arches is busy - start early - plan on 3-5 shorter dayhikes in one day. There's more hiking outside of the parks on the beautiful drive up the Colorado River from Moab.

ATVs - Heck, it's Utah, there will be plenty.

0 Likes

Great, thanks!

0 Likes

Arches NP.  Get there early say 8.00am or before.  Go to the end and hike the Devils Garden Loop.  You may also miss the crowds if you go in the evening but bring a headlamp and usual essentials.

From my vast sample of visiting once,  in the summer the park gets really busy during the day and that parking lot fills up with tour buses.  Most probably only go as far as Landscape arch but as I was coming out around 10:30am the parking lot and the trailhead was mobbed.

The hike to Delicate arch is also extremely popular so a very early or evening start may be preferred.  There are other short hikes in Arches but I only had the morning.

Views from Dead Horse Point State Park are worth the time although there is not huge hiking potential there.

Similar for Islands in the Sky Visitor center in Canyonlands NP.  There is a popular hiking loop, Neck Spring Trail, close by which supposedly has great views.  I was there to drive the White Rim Trail so I didn't have time to hike that. 

ATVs may not be the best since the distances are quite big.  Depends what you had in mind.  You could rent Jeeps a few years ago...probably still can...it was quite expensive though.  That gives you access a lot of the back country that you might find somewhat challenging in a regular car. 

0 Likes

Thank you!

0 Likes

Moab has limitless possibilities for adventures. I’ve listed a couple of my longer favs, but there are many, many shorter trails that are lovely.  

In Arches, the Primitive Trail. I’ve done it in both directions and love it.  It also is less popular.  But - if someone in your party is afraid of heights, be forewarned.  My wife can barely make it, and then has nightmares.

Primitive Trail
at Devils Garden
7.8 miles
(12.6 km)
4 hours The Primitive Trail is an alternative route to or from Double O Arch. It involves narrow ledges, uneven surface hiking and scrambling on slickrock. Not recommended when rock is wet or snowy, or for those uncomfortable with heights or exposure. Trail guideavailable at trailhead.

In Needles District, Druid Arch is amazing, but takes commitment to hike to.  

My favorite resource for Moab and western CO is gjhikes.com.  He had compiled hundreds of hikes with descriptions and photos.  

If you aren’t from a high desert area, please heed this advise!  Take more water than you think you need and drink before you’re thirsty.  It is easy to dehydrate or get heatstroke and by the time you realize it you may be in big trouble.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Great advice. Thanks!

0 Likes