cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Can we get an REI store in St George, Utah?

Alright, I'm trying to find out why there's not a location in St George. This place is surrounded by state parks, and national parks. 

Zion national park is 1 hour from St George. 4.3 million visitors per year. The closest rei is las vegas. Zion is the 3rd most visited park in the country. Las vegas is 3 hours from Zion. 

Bryce canyon national park is around 3 hours from St George. 2.7 million visitors per year. Closest rei is in Salt Lake City. I think that's about 4-6 hours away. 

Dixie national forest is spans zion, and bryce canyon. It sees 700,000 visitors per year. The distances from Bryce and Zion are still relevant. 

North rim grand canyon, 2.5 hours from St George. I can't find data on visitors to north rim; but total visitors for the grand canyon is around 6 million. From the south rim, the closest rei is in Flagstaff. That's 2 hours away. From the north rim, you're looking at 3.5 or more hours to flagstaff to hit an rei. The north rim backs up to Kaibab national forest which sees nearly 400,000 visitors per year, with 150,000 of those being campers. 

Lake Powell sees 2 million visitors per year. Closest rei's would be Flagstaff, or Salt Lake city. 

On to local state parks..

Sand Hollow state park in St George sees 940,000 visitors per year. 

Snow Canyon, 500,000 visitors per year.

Gunlock, 100,000.

Coral pink sand dunes, 120,000. 

Quail Creek 226,000

Just to put population into perspective: St George has a population of around 100k. Flagstaff has a population of about 73k. Canyoneering, climbing, kayaking, boating, paddle boarding, hiking, camping, bicycling, and every outdoor activity you can think of is huge out here in southern utah/northern arizona; and we're ridiculously underserved for outdoor sports equipment. St george has sportsman's warehouse and big5. That's it. 

2 Replies

Hi @im_batman - Thanks so much for sending this info our way. We love getting suggestions like this one because we get to hear about the great places our customers love to recreate. St George sounds amazing!

As you might imagine, our real estate team is always on the lookout for where we’ll open new stores. There are many factors that this team considers when choosing new locations for our stores, including proximity to awesome outdoor recreation and presence of active REI members. There are still so many opportunities around the country - this year we opened six new stores in Florida, Montana, South Carolina, Kansas, Wisconsin, and Tennessee. Southwest Utah seems like an incredible hub for getting outside. Thanks again for taking the time to share your suggestion with us!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

St George IS an incredible place, with tremendous growth, and sadly, tremendous growth in the cost of living, but I digress.

My group stayed there 2 nights on our way to, and from, a backpacking trip to Grand Staircase Escalante.

Absolutely beautiful!  I'd move there if I could.  I think last year it was one of the fast growing cities in the U.S.  And it's well located for the outdoors person.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes