cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

Hiking with pup

Suggestions for hiking with a pup in Nebraska: Lincoln/Omaha area? I'm looking for something besides Platte River State Park, I'd love it if there was a creek or some shade available on some hikes that I could take with my dog. Thanks in advance!

4 Replies

What breed is your dog?  Some are stronger hikers than others... start easy - hike just around your neighborhood and then go on from there.

Best wishes on finding a suitable locality.....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! He is an Australian Shepherd puppy, we have done some neighborhood hikes and he enjoys it, I look forward to upping our game a little this summer!

0 Likes

Hey @emilylovesdogs I don't have any advice for Nebraska locations, but if you want your dog to ever wear a backpack, I suggest getting either a small harness or pack and starting early. I introduced a backpack to my lab a bit too late and she just won't move with it on. This summer we are going to try to get over her hating it, but neither of us are looking forward to it.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

PDB
he/him/his
0 Likes

Congratulations on your new friend. 

Wilderness Park appears to have what you requested:

https://www.friendsofwildernesspark.org/explore/traillmapaccess.html

There is no greater act of kindness for your pet than keeping them safe from harm.

An excellent quality 5’ leash and secure collar or harness are a must have. 

In addition, consider fabricating a 1” x 20’ nylon tubular runner and securely attach a “heavy duty swivel snap clip pet buckle” (Amazon.com) for training and hikes. 

Have fun!

24BDB1DD-571A-4DC2-93E8-4C6E632E3FBC.jpeg

444A3217-2555-4628-8262-03C13815202A.jpeg

0 Likes