cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We are currently experiencing issues with logging in and staying logged in, most often with Chrome, We're sorry and are working hard on resolution.
Highlighted

Looking for group that support Black hikers in/around Kansas City

I have been following #blackbirdersweek and #blackhikers week and am looking for any local groups working with awareness and inclusivity in the outdoors. I would love to get involved, especially with women/kids. 

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted

@kcapper so glad to have you here in the community - it would be helpful to know where you're located so we, and other community members, can start making some recommendations and connections!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Sorry - to clarify, I am not black. I am looking for ways to help positivity in the outdoors in my community. I am in the Kansas City area. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

@kcapper in case you hadn't seen it, we recently posted an article on how to support organizations working toward a more inclusive outdoor community; there are a bunch of non-profits listed (with more being added) that you could reach out to and see which, if any, have a local Kansas City chapter or affiliation. Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@kcapper yes, where are you located?  I would suggest meetup.com for groups of all sorts of like-minded folks, all sorts of interests.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes
Highlighted

Check your local Sierra Club. They should have a group call the ICO which focuses on taking kids who have little or no chance to do outdoors activities like hiking and camping etc. They also do environmental education. I work w/ the STL chapter and have taken my kid and others on trips, combining leadership w/ family and service. Also look to see if there is a local Black Girls Do Bike and GirlTrek in your area. We have an active chapter of BGDB and GirlTrek here. BGDB is self-explanatory while GirlTrek is more hiking focused. 

0 Likes