cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Advice for finding a hiking companion in Michigan.

Hello REI community,

With a looming divorce I recently decided it's time to follow a desire I once had to backpack, I live in Michigan and have two ideas in mind, however, in both instances I believe it is best I find someone to go hiking with. Covid 19 already makes things difficult, but not having someone to go with makes it even worse. I am wondering if this community is a place I could possibly reach out to people and possibly find someone to join me, or if people have suggestions where I can look. Is there a Meetups group for this? I don't use Facebook currently so that's not an option.

I am looking to go either to Smoky Mountains or Michigan's UP early October (I know opposite directions, lol).

Will appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Gidonj

Labels (2)
24 Replies

@Gidonj Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

You're in good company here, as we have quite the contingent of folks in (or around) Michigan. We'll tag them here to see if they can weigh in with their knowledge and experience:

@bryndsharp @Sudscycle @BrianW @Saunterer19 @KarenT @gillycane @dirkbw @MadisonMaven @Driftwoody 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Here are a few more as we can only tag 10 folks at a time in a post:

@mrmikeb1 @WI4all @kimsails @chip88angel @REI-RachelL @HoughtonLikeTheLake @Njdext @Tashmoo @REI-MichelleW @Bonfire 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hello John,

Thank you very much for helping me out with this! I look forward to hearing from others. 

-Gidon

Hi there!  I haven't been to the Smokies as an adult, but recently went to the Porcupine Mountains for a day hike.  We did the Escarpment Trail & it was well worth it.  I know you said you didn't have Facebook, but that's honestly what I would recommend, since there's a robust hiking/backpacking in Michigan group on there.  As for Meetups, I'm not sure!  I know I've seen hiking ones over the years, but they may be dependent upon where you live. 

--
Silvia
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@chip88angel What is the name of the Facebook meetup group?

www.brynsharpphotography.com

0 Likes

Not sure if my other response went through--it's just called Michigan Hiking & Backpacking.  🙂

--
Silvia

Sorry for responding so late @bryndsharp! Don't log in all the time. I downloaded an REI app thinking it would provide with notifications, but it doesn't.  🙃

--
Silvia

No worries, thanks for writing the name! 

0 Likes

@Gidonj I am not sure about connecting with other hikers in Michigan, as I don't really live in Michigan full-time (I am actually just here due to COVID-19 haha). 

However, in terms of places to hike/backpack in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, I can definitely give you some recommendations:

• Tahquamenon Falls State Park
    • Although the Falls are the main attraction for day users/car campers, I personally love the backcountry campsites that the park offers. They are very private and there are barely any other hikers on the trails. I recently got back from a backpacking trip I took here in August. I am not going to write a lot right now, but if this is a place that interests you to hike/backpack, let me know and I'll give you more details.
    • Here is a list of the recordings I made for my trip in Tahquamenon Falls SP and the Porcupine Mountains (see below), which may help you as well.

hiking map.jpg

• Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park
    • I also just got back from a backpacking trip in this Michigan State Park. Another beautiful place to backpack/hike. This area gets a little more foot traffic, but for the most part the backcountry campsites are still private. Here is a link to a couple backpacking recommendations I recently made to someone else in this community. If you have further questions, let me know!
    • Here is a link to the recording I made when I backpacked in this park with my father. I wrote a description on it that may help you as well. Although in this description I write "this is not a trail for beginners," with the proper preparation (and preferably a partner if you're relatively new to backpacking), this trail can be completed if you are relatively new to backpacking.

Let me know if you have any questions or want advice on something else!