cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Out of shape, overweight, beginner looking for walking/hiking buddy

Hello! 

I am in the Indianapolis area for a short while (maybe through June) and am looking for a walking/hiking buddy. 

— total beginner trying to get back in shape. 
— have plantar fasciitis so would need to start slow and short 

—overweight and out of shape

Prefer folks similar to my style and speed or who are incredibly patient with how slow I walk. 

🙂 

4 Replies

I'm not near you so I can't offer to be an actual hiking buddy but I can offer encouragement! In the same position you were (planter fasciitis in BOTH feet, too). 

Took it slow, made the journey back to health (still on that journey), and I tell people that hiking saved my life.

You got this!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thanks @Dad_Aint_Hip!  I appreciate the encouragement. 

I usually reside in Chicago. Just here near Indianapolis for a brief stint.  I also have it in both feet, and it’s not nearly as severe as it used to be. 

Another Chicagoan! Well, kinda - I live in the Western 'burbs.

There are a few Meetup groups that would be worthwhile checking out. A couple of them are pretty active, too. They will typically tell you what they're expected pace is and whether the day's trail is one where it's easy to catch up if you fall behind. 

I went on one hike with a group last Fall and it was advertised as a 3 mile per hour hike but I'd say half the group was significantly slower than that. I suspect it was partially the social nature, but people definitely slowed down so no one was left behind (except the person who was in charge of the hike that day but that's another story/rant).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

That’s good to know. I’ve looked up groups on Meetup before and they didn’t work out for one reason or another. I should check back into that. I am a SLOW Walker and would hate to be the weakest link. That’s primarily why I was just looking for a buddy until I’m in a bit better shape. Thanks for the info. 

Hello fellow sort of Chicagoan!  I miss it, though I was happy not to be there for the most recent snowstorm.  We got a fair amount here, but compared to Chicago it was nothing. Ha!  

0 Likes