cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: What's your favorite ski memory?

I have many of them, but my favorite by far was my first time at Big Sky. I had driven by the town many times as a kid, normally on the way from Missoula to Idaho or Missoula to West Yellowstone, but you can't really see much of the ski area from the canyon road.  Going up from the golf course you climb until you come around the bend and there is Lone Mountain looming massive in the backdrop (see pic).  As a middleschooler, I couldn't even comprehend how I was going to ski those steep runs and my first time down from the very top was nerve racking, but also the most fun I think I have ever had.

IMG_0080.JPG

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
Labels (1)
9 Replies

I grew up on the Canadian Prairies and I like to tell people that it is just like Nebraska - but without the scenery. 😀

So every year at Christmas, my dad and I would take a trip out West to go skiing. All of the trips are memorable but the one that stands out for me was the trip to Big Mountain, just outside of Whitefish Montana.

It was cold but not bitterly so and the hoar frost on all the pines at the peak was beautiful to look it.

I've been in love with Montana since then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Yes, Whitefish is beautiful, but yeah visibility can be an issue.  Always hope for a clear day where you can see over into Glacier.  I have had my fair share of Whitefish trips where I am removing frost from my goggles on the lift up after every run.

@Diesseldorf thanks for getting this one started! My earliest memories of skiing include East Coast ice on rental skis and bitter cold temperatures that caused a little frostbite. Needless to say, those aren't my favorite memories.

One of my best ski memories was a trip to Breckenridge - first time skiing off the East Coast, blue skies, big mountains, more forgiving snow, and less frigid. That said, I did burn my eyeballs (literally) because I didn't wear goggles on one of those lovely sunny days...lesson learned.

And now, my favorite (and only) ski days include getting my kiddo rolling on his skis!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Wow, sunburnt eyeballs sounds terrible!

Back in the late 70's/early 80's my friends and I took an annual ski trip into the Adirondack High Peaks Region every Christmas break. We all had cheap equipment, heavy packs, and lots of fun. We'd ski back to various lean-to shelters, relocating daily.

It was quite a thrill for me, a skinny teen with a huge backpack, to ski down some of those sloped trails. If you fell, you wound up in deep snow, wrestling with all your gear to get back up - while your friends laughed at you. We all took turns at this mishap/diversion.

Can't beat the feeling of skiing snow that deep though, sounds fun!

0 Likes

My buddy Randy took me to Mt Bachelor to go skiing for the first time in my life and when we got there he took me up the black chair to the top of the mountain and then took off skiing and left me standing there. It took me hours to make it to the bottom where I went to the bunny hill so I could learn how to ski. I still remember the fear I felt from that day in somewhere around 1974 - Arghhhhhhhhh

@Diesseldorf 

I grew up on the east coast, but ther is still a large selection of slopes.  My favorite place was Cranmore mountain, because it was fairly easy and offered fun slopes for a family.  I spent 10 hours in a day skiing, and forgot lunch because I had so much fun.

Kyle M | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtrM2UkJKMvKv3qyR9WFv7w
Have a Great Day, and make your best adventure yet.

@KyleMTheBoyScout, the east has some awesome slopes from what I have heard.  Too much of haul for me to visit, but if you lived there you wouldn't be missing out on much.  Cranmore looks like a decent place judging by the trail map.  Not having lunch would be rough though!  I will skip lunch, but only if I eat 4-5 energy bars throughout the day on the lift.