cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Suggestions for the semi-auto boot crampons

Hello,

I am looking for good semi-automatic boot crampons that would fit AT ski boots, both with the regular design and Dynafit's "speed nose" design, as I have both. If they work with the mid-duty mountaneering boots (which I don't have put quite probably will), that's a welcome bonus.

I'd rather invest in steel crampons than aluminum. 

The goal is to do moderate level touring, not too technical so horizontally oriented prongs are fine. 

Thanks,

0 Likes
2 Replies

@Dmitry 

Hey there!

Take a look at the Grivel G-12 New-Matic crampons, as they may be just the ticket. I've used mine up and down all the PNW Cascade volcanoes and they are secure and confidence inspiring on a lot of varying terrain. I never used them on my touring boots, but I did fit them to my Scarpas just in case I ever got good enough at skiing to need them. Hasn't happened yet but maybe some day.

Another interesting option are the Petzl Sarken Leverlock Universal crampons, which give you options for fitting them over the front of your boot. I don't have any experience with those particular crampons, however.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hey @Dmitry if you’ll be doing a lot of climbing with ski boots that isn’t super technical, I suggest taking a look at the petzel irvis hybrid. They pack down small and they have steel toes. I have used them with Dynafit tlt boots and mountaineering boots and have never had any issues. I don’t use them on rock much so the aluminum heels don’t show much wear after two years of use. 

PDB
he/him/his
0 Likes