cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

splitboard, bindings, and boots suggestions?

Hi,

My son is going to take a backcountry ski class next semester and it requires a splitboard. I am guessing he could be in all types of condition on the mountain.  lightweight seems to matter since they tend to hike and ride. 

He is 22 years old about 5'11"  and weighs 170-175

I am looking at your bindings, maybe a board and boots

He started off skiing when he was 4 but changed over to snowboarding when he was 7/8. Has been snowboarding ever since

I would classify him as black or double black diamond snowboarder

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hi @nicole87 - Thanks for reaching out! Sounds like such a cool opportunity for your son. It’s great to hear he’s taking a class to learn how to be safe in the backcountry. For equipment, a lot of snowboarding gear can be super personal, geared specifically to the rider’s preferences. It sounds like he’s been doing this a very long time and might have some distinct wants or needs.

For boots, we highly recommend going into your local REI for a fitting. If you can’t get to a store, we recommend scheduling a virtual outfitting appointment, where someone can go through different options that would work with your son’s specific feet (width, volume, arch, etc).

For splitboards, we have many options that vary greatly depending on the style of riding and terrain. You can learn more about them in this Expert Advice article, ‘How to Choose a Splitboard’. The shape and technology of a touring, powder, or all-mountain board can have a big impact on it’s performance for a snowboarder. Do you know which type your son is looking for? That will help us narrow down options and then we can give you some more tailored suggestions.

With bindings, the Karakoram Nomads are a great lightweight option that have a reputation for being really solid across different types of terrain. The Union Expedition bindings are a little bit heavier, but will feel more similar to the standard snowboard bindings that your son is familiar with.

We hope this is a good start. Let us know if you have any other questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes