cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Snowshoe recommendations

Am getting tired of sinking down in the snow while out hiking and was thinking of finally making the plunge to get snow shoes (admittedly probably right before the snow finally melts).

Looking online it seems the MSRs are highly recommended and REI still as the Women's Revo Ascent, Lightening Ascent, and Revo Explore in stock and was wondering if people had recommendations between the three. 

I'm in PA so not planing on doing any completely crazy mountains but would like to be able to have some variability in the terrain I do. 

4 Replies

You can't go wrong with MSR (if you can find a pair). My wife and I have been using them for about fifteen years. (We both have the Lightning Ascent.) All their stuff has an excellent warranty. They will frequently repair or replace things, even when I have told them the damage was my own fault.

The low end of the price range will probably work great for general casual snowshoeing, but I would be attracted to the newer "Paragon" bindings on the two Ascent models - they just seem like they'd be more comfortable. We have the older style bindings which you'd get on the Revo Explore, and I am satisfied with them, it's just that the newer ones are probably an improvement.

The "televators" or heel lifts are good for sustained, steep uphills (mountains), but they won't get in your way if you don't need them.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thanks!

0 Likes

@TammyS Hi, I would recommend you look at Redfeather Snowshoes (https://www.redfeather.com/). My fiancé and I each have a pair and have been happy with them. I have not had the opportunity to try MSR snowshoes, but I am sure they are of good quality too. The Redfeather Snowshoes are Made in the USA as well.

Thanks!

0 Likes