cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Ski equipment maintenance

Do all REI store locations offer ski equipment maintenance/prep on existing equipment? Specifically, waxing skis?

0 Likes
4 Replies

@tswenson 

Thanks for reaching out!

Not all REI's have a ski shop offering maintenance for your skis. You can take a look at the list of stores that do have a ski shop here

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

REI also sells wax.  Grab some, a cheap iron, check out some of the how to videos, and you can easily do it on your own as well.  This will help you keep your skis fast all year!  I like to throw a coat of wax on at the end of the season and let that sit until the start of next season before scraping to keep the skis protected.  For any deep gouges in the p-tex, core shots, or edge damage though, I would take that into the shop unless you really want to learn some extra repair skills (which aren't really hard, but involve more materials and time).

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

like @Diesseldorf said, I sooooo recommend you learn to wax your own skis!  I find it really satisfying to repair scratches w a little ptex, then wax-on, using my trusty 'garage' iron, (doesn't everyone have a dedicated iron laying around in the garage, lol?)  Then wax-off!

recommend getting a book or watch some vids so you don't damage.  you do need some stuff..clamps, old iron, a variety of scraper tools, something to clean and sharpen the edges, some candles to light the ptex, then a good rasp-bastard file to grind it carefully down, then the waxing can begin.

a little shop vac works wonders to get all the scrapped wax off the floor.  enjoy!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

https://youtu.be/dQhfQYxeZ8c

here's an awful vid I filmed, just for fun prior to leaving for Colorado and a ski week at keystone

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
2017, in the garage, just for fun, and putting on the wax before leaving for Keystone.
0 Likes