cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Places to go skinning with dogs in New England

Does anyone know good spots to skin and ski with dogs off leash in New England? I've been to the Fitchburg, MA area and love it, but looking to learn more places. Thanks! I care more about bringing my fun pup with me, than the extreme level of skiing or hiking...

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hi @aimc444 - Thanks for reaching out! I'm based in northern Vermont, so my knowledge is weighted slightly more in this direction, but if you can meet the current travel guidelines and you're willing to drive a bit there are a lot of great options around! 

The following places are known to allow dogs, though you might want to check in before you go to make sure rules haven't shifted:

• Saddleback Ski Area (Maine) has a designated dog loop at the Rangeley Lakes and Trails Center
  • Sunday River and Mt Abram in Maine's Bethel area have a lot of skijoring designated terrain, which is a perfect dog and ski situation! 
  • Bear Notch Ski Touring (New Hampshire) has about 40 miles of trails open to dogs
  • Mt Washington Valley (New Hampshire) allows dogs on the Whittaker Woods trail network
  • Burke Mountain's nordic area (Vermont) has around 8 miles of dog-friendly trails
  • Jay Peak Resort (Vermont) allows dogs on the "Back 9" trails
  • The 300 mile Catamount Trail (Vermont) allows dogs, though you are required to have a leash with you since much of the trail goes through private property

Nordic areas seem to be more clear with dog access than backcountry, touring-focus public lands, but this should be a good start. Hopefully some other fellow New Englanders can weigh in with their suggestions too. 

It would be great to hear updates on where you and you pup end up exploring this spring! Enjoy!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes