cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Need suggestion for the indoor conditioning for the next ski touring season.

Ok folks,

Although we are staying at home with rather limited options for the outdoor exercise, do you have any suggestions on how to get fit for the next alpine touring season. There are apparently three sides of the problem: physical strength and endurance. While the first one is less of an issue (we have a bunch of weights, dumbbells, kettlebells, wobbleboard, TRX and few other things at home), the aerobic/endurance training is more of an issue as we don't have any treadmill kind of equipment. The third side is the diet, which needs to be modified to mitigate possible effect of the stay-at-home lifestyle.

Here is one set I found (and found to be working before the last season):

https://www.backcountry.com/explore/train-eccentric-leg-strength-for-alpine-skiing

however, I paired it up with the ~1 hr aerobic training 3-5 days a week in the gym.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Reply

Need suggestion for the indoor conditioning for the next ski touring season.

Hi @Dmitry !

Great question! Being stuck inside means we have to get pretty creative about how to train for next season.

I think there's some obligation here to mention that everyone should talk to their physician before beginning any exercise program.

An important thing to talk about is the phases of your exercise program- making sure that we're first spending time adding muscle with progressive overload exercises is the first step. These can include squat movements, lunge movements and explosive jumps, or any other mix of bodyweight or weight-added exercises. Aftwe we add muscle, then we start training that new muscle in the right way for the activity we want. It sounds like you’ve got the strength part pretty dialed.

It’s great to mix aerobic activity into this routine- working until you feel the lactic acid burn will stimulate capillary growth to get more blood to that muscle you’re adding.

This part can be the toughest at home, though. A stationary bike or bike trainer can do wonders for passing the time. With a stationary trainer, you can put on a movie or listen to music to help the time go faster. Now, with plenty of new muscle that’s trained for concentric, aerobic movement, the skin track to the top will feel like a breeze and you’ll have plenty of gas in the tank for the way down.

I really like that the Backcountry article mentioned leg blasters right out of the gate- I don't think I've found a better eccentric training exercise routine that shows real results in skiing fitness/ability. I can’t overstate how important eccentric training is for skiing. Every bump and turn on the way down loads the muscles in your legs while the muscles are being extended instead of contracted. If you haven’t trained for this, it doesn’t matter how much muscle you’ve added- you’ll get tired sooner. Leg blasters are the cornerstone of my ski training routine every year.

Another thing I like to add are wobble board and/or bosu ball foot/ankle exercises. Keeping the ankles and feet strong and connected to what the rest of the leg is doing is just as critical.

Last- don’t forget to stretch! It’s so important to make sure the hips, knees, shoulders, back, neck- your whole body, really- are all supple and free to move without strain.

Hope this is helpful!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes