cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Need recommendation on inclinometers

Hello,

I am looking for the most reliable and convenient way of measuring slope (and alpha) angles for the avalanche danger mitigation. What would you recommend?

Wildsnow blog recommends Pieps 30 Plus. It is fairly expensive (ca. $80) and not widely available. Has anybody used it? What are other good options (I have a few apps for the Android but it is not as convenient as a dedicated tool). 

https://www.wildsnow.com/10011/alpha-angle-avalanche-safety/

Thanks,

0 Likes
3 Replies

I recommend calling the nearest ranger station and getting an avalanche update...

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Hi @Philreedshikes 

The avalanche forecast is a regional average, so to speak, and even on Low danger day slides are possible, and it is always possible to wander into the runout zone on any day. Besides, there are lots of terrain not covered by regional avalanche centers. 

Best,

@Dmitry There are stickers you can put on your ski pole to estimate slope angle. Low tech but they work fairly well. Similarly bca makes a small level with gauge. I think they include it in their snow study kit. I personally use the measure app for the iPhone. 

0 Likes