cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Need an opinion for the winter sheltering for overnights

Hello,

What is the best (including weight and volume) options for the winter sheltering in places like Sierras (Tahoe and Yosemite areas)? I like snowcave/ quinzee but it takes a while to build (especially the latter) and for safety reasons it is highly recommended that one is used by at least two people so I guess it is not an option for solo trips. 

The options I am considering are: bivy, MegaMed tent (I saw members of backcountry ski patrols use them) or plain 3-season tent. What are the prone and cons for these options?

Thanks.

0 Likes
10 Replies

Thanks, @TennesseeJed 

I poked around that website. The teepee appears to be the outer shell only, you might possibly need the inner tent and definitely, the stove. All around (with the inner tent) it weighs about 15-16 lb and costs ca. $650. For 1-2 night outing for skiing this is probably an overkill, but for week+ long expedition that would be a way to go.

(*now scratching my head if I can manage to find like-minded folks for an expedition*)

Thanks,

0 Likes