cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for a recommendation for ski skins.

• Hi! I am getting into backcountry skiing this year. My current set up is a used pair of 162cm K2 payback womens skis with marker f10 bindings. I'm looking for ski skin recommendations. I am hoping to buy used. I would be using the skis in the PNW. I really appreciate the help!
0 Likes
2 Replies

Hi @Jr18cald 

I guess that depends on your objectives and to a certain extent, style.

My first set of skins was G3 alpinist (now Alpinist+ Universal), full nylon skins. Weight-wise they are in them middle of the spectrum, and are advertised as sort of "quiver of one" skins, although some say that they don't glide too well. I personally have a tendency for steeper ascents so they worked for me. For better glide you can use G3 Alpinist Glide, these are nylon/mohair mix, and reportedly glide better, but they need special care, as in warm weather they get soaked and if that happens their performance goes south rapidly.

Best,

@Jr18cald 

Thanks for reaching out!

@Dmitry gave you some good info but I wanted to add that we have a really useful Expert Advice article, How to Choose, Trim and Attach Ski Climbing Skins, that you may find helpful. As a PNW backcountry skier, I also recommend ski skin wax, that has saved me a lot of pain and frustration going uphill.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes