cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Katoola microspikes fitting on Northface Chilkat boots?

Hello. I have a pair of Northface Chilkats in a size 12. They're HUGE. According to your sizing guide for Katoola Microspikes for insulated Pac boots, X-Large fits Women's sizes 12+ / Men's sizes 11 - 14. But I'm concerned that the hugeness of the Chilkat will still stretch the x-large katoola. Do you know folks who've used these spikes on the Chilkat? Thanks!

0 Likes
6 Replies

Hey @johnnyfitz  you should be fine with the XL size. I have a pair of medium spikes that I wear on all my footwear from altra trail runners to dynafit tlt7 ski boots. They stretch to accommodate larger sizes, but don’t stretch out. Mine are ~8 years old and I use them daily in the winter. 

Thanks @PatrickB for the response. So, my next question would be: any idea if I could I get away with a large since all my other shoes would required that rather than an XL. 

0 Likes

Hey @johnnyfitz if you are going to wear them with a specific boot 90% of the time I’d buy whatever size the guide tells you. I bought mine for my LL Bean winter boots and they seem to do fine on everything from trail running shoes to ski boots. On my running shoes sometimes they slip down a little, but they are completely usable. Mine are old and the rubber connecting the chain has broken in two spots, but I repaired them with zip ties and they function just fine. Did they break because I stretched them over ski boots? I doubt that is the case because I continue to use them on those boots and I haven’t had any more connections fail. The main drawback to buying a smaller size and stretching to a larger boot is that they won’t wrap around the top of the boot as much and they may pop off. Hope this helps. 

0 Likes

Hi @johnnyfitz - Thanks for reaching out! Like @PatrickB said, the Katoola microspikes tend to do a great job not stretching out when worn over boots in their size range. Your XL pair should hold their shape well when used with size 12 Chilkats. 

Are there any neat winter activities you have planned that have you looking into microspikes? We'd love to hear how you're getting outside this year! 

Thanks again for bringing this question to the community. Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks @REI-CarterC  for the response. So, my next question would be: any idea if I could I get away with a large that I could still use with the Chilkats since all my other shoes would required that rather than an XL. 

0 Likes

@johnnyfitz unfortunately, the size LG microspikes are likely not going to work with the Chilkats as those boots are really quite bulky around the toes. We'd recommend the XL.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes