cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We are currently experiencing issues with logging in and staying logged in, most often with Chrome, We're sorry and are working hard on resolution.
Highlighted

Best Xc skis for beginner on groomed trails

Hello, I'm wondering which of the xc skis available on REI site would be good for a somewhat beginner skiing groomed trails in NH? Also I am 5 ft 4 woman, 150 lbs so also wondering about the right size. Thanks for any help!

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted

@kwiitala Thanks for reaching out!

We would love to make a recommendation for you! You'll want to bear a couple of things in mind: what style of nordic skiing are you planning on doing, classic (kick and glide, your skis stay parallel the whole time) or skate (kind of a side to side kick, similar to how you propel yourself while ice skating). You'll also want to make sure your boots, if you have them, are compatible with the bindings on the skis you choose. Here are a couple of options to look at:

Classic nordic skiing:

Nordic skate skiing:

We have several Expert Advice articles about Cross Country skiing, such as How to Choose Cross Country ski gear and Beginner's Guide to Cross Country skiing. They have great insight into gear, sizing and technique. 

Lastly, we've had a couple of conversations here in the community around similar topics recently. Feel free to check out Looking for a complete cross country ski package and Sizing considerations for cross country skis.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

What John J mentions is basically all you need and I do really like the feel of a prolink or turnamic binding compared to just a regular NNN.  Know there are lots of rentals out there as well (including from REI), never hurts to try first, buy later.

0 Likes