cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best cross country skiing gear?

I used to Telemark ski YEARS ago and recently started Cross Country again with my old Scarpa hard plastic Telemark boots and a friends old Fisher skis with Metal edges and a 3 pin binding. 

I rarely ski in groomed places because our snow in SE Pennsylvannia is unpredictable!!!

SInce I'm interested in possibly upgrading everything:

With what i've noted, what's the best gear for me?

Thanks for the assistance!

4 Replies

Sounds like it would be best for you to look at NNN BC boots and touring classic skis with a full metal edge.  Unfortunately there isn't much left this late in the season.  You can use regular NNN gear, but for strictly off-track I prefer NNN BC setups.  Alpina Alaska boots and Rossi Possitrack 65s or 80s are my favs right now.

Thanks for the reply. I know its late in the season, but is there anywhere i can get gear other than used online? I like what you have recommended.

0 Likes

Unfortunately not any place that I know of where you can buy new right now.  You would have to wait until new gear in the early season next year or buy used.

0 Likes

@matthewreale if you are doing mostly flat touring an NNN-BC setup might be best, but if you will be doing a lot of turns on steeper terrain you might want to stick with a 3-pin setup.  If you decide to go 3-pin, take a look at the Voile ultravector BC ski. It has a section of fishscales under the foot and a full metal edge. You could pair them with a three pin binding like the voile HD mountaineer, or if you want the option of a cable on your heel the voile three pin cable binding.