cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

Best cross country skiing gear?

I used to Telemark ski YEARS ago and recently started Cross Country again with my old Scarpa hard plastic Telemark boots and a friends old Fisher skis with Metal edges and a 3 pin binding. 

I rarely ski in groomed places because our snow in SE Pennsylvannia is unpredictable!!!

SInce I'm interested in possibly upgrading everything:

With what i've noted, what's the best gear for me?

Thanks for the assistance!

4 Replies

Sounds like it would be best for you to look at NNN BC boots and touring classic skis with a full metal edge.  Unfortunately there isn't much left this late in the season.  You can use regular NNN gear, but for strictly off-track I prefer NNN BC setups.  Alpina Alaska boots and Rossi Possitrack 65s or 80s are my favs right now.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thanks for the reply. I know its late in the season, but is there anywhere i can get gear other than used online? I like what you have recommended.

0 Likes

Unfortunately not any place that I know of where you can buy new right now.  You would have to wait until new gear in the early season next year or buy used.

0 Likes

@matthewreale if you are doing mostly flat touring an NNN-BC setup might be best, but if you will be doing a lot of turns on steeper terrain you might want to stick with a 3-pin setup.  If you decide to go 3-pin, take a look at the Voile ultravector BC ski. It has a section of fishscales under the foot and a full metal edge. You could pair them with a three pin binding like the voile HD mountaineer, or if you want the option of a cable on your heel the voile three pin cable binding. 

PDB
he/him/his