cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Alpine Touring in Vermont

I recently relocated to Southern Vermont from NYC thanks to wfh. I love skiing and I've started up alpine touring. I'm currently beginning with resort laps at Stratton and I'm hoping to build my way up to a backcountry trip out west. I'm looking for friends to have some fun earning turns with - the mountains are always better shared.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
0 Likes

Hi @kev_b - Thanks for reaching out! I'm also in Vermont, though on the opposite side up in Burlington. Welcome to the state and to this digital community!

Glad to hear you're getting into skinning. I am a fellow ski tourer, so I hear you on looking for more people to go uphill with. The suggestion that @WG gave is a great one! RASTA (Rochester Area Sports Trail Alliance) is a trail maintenance club that hosts work days, group adventures, etc. 

If you are on Facebook, you may want to connect with the RASTA page, as well as a few others where people often comment looking for partners, etc:

Another suggestion would be your local Front Porch Forum. This website runs only in Vermont and parts of New York and is highly active, highly local, and a great place for people to post looking for partners! Finally, if you use the Strava app, there are sometimes local clubs for specific activities. Near me, I am a member of the Outdoor Gear Exchange (a local gear consignment store) "multi-sport" club, where they host events, meet ups, etc. Hopefully one of those will be helpful for finding you someone to ski with! 

Make sure to know you and your partners' experience levels and keep safety as your top priority, especially as someone new to the sport.

Hope you were able to get out yesterday! It was 28° and bluebird at Bolton Valley, which made my turns feel top-notch!

Let us know if you have any additional questions and we'll be happy to answer. We'd love to hear updates on how the spring ski season turns out for you as well!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes