cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Alpine touring in the east

I am an avid downhill skiier and just took an AIARE I class to dip my toes into backcountry touring.  

With the Vail and Alterra resort shutdowns, I am looking into getting more into touring.  Unfortunately, I am from the east cost NY metro area 😞

Does anyone have any recommendations for good touring locations in the east coast?  Snow dependent, of course.

0 Likes
4 Replies

Hello,

I am also a newcomer for the alpine touring (having done XC skiing in the backcountry on likes of Madshus Epoch for a few years I decided to move more uphill). I have zero experience in BC skiing in the east, however, my 2 cents are the following.

The beauty of backcountry is that you are not limited to the specifically designated places such as ski resorts, not limited by the resorts operating hours, and the access is free. I think (correct me if I am wrong) that it is illegal to collect money from folks for the access to the public lands. So general rule of thumb is that you should look for publicly maintained lands with suitable terrain,  reasonable access and sufficient snow coverage. Based on my experience from reading discussion forums skiing in the East is not  a popular topic, but you may try browsing through Teton Gravity Research forums or local chats for the most popular locations.

0 Likes

Thanks!  It seems the availability of powder is probably the limiting factor.  Hoping for a good snow day at some point soon.

0 Likes

@BackcountryZen Great topic!

When I moved to New England in 2012 I was just starting to cut my teeth as a backcountry skier in Washington state. Our daughter was born 5 months later so my skiing took a backseat to a lot of other activities. But not before buying some books about backcountry skiing in the northeast and a poster of all the ski descents on Tuckerman's Ravine. All of that is to say that there is some high quality backcountry skiing in New England!

Check out this interesting Co-op Journal article called The New Blueprint for Backcountry Skiing in the Northeast

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@BackcountryZen The Catskills and Adirondacks both offer some great BC Skiing when in condition. The 'Dacks especially have some incredible rock slides from the summits of a number of the big peaks that are skiable. The legendary Ski To Die Club did a number of first descents on these back in the day. The Mountaineer in Keene Valley, NY would be a good resource for more information and might be able to hook you up with a guide who could help you get experience in the High Peaks. Happy Trails.

0 Likes