cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Advice on skiing equipment for a beginner.

Hello,

I am looking into buying skiing equipment so I don't have to continue renting. I'm not sure where to start, and I would love some advice. I'm a beginner skier, and I'm 5'7. 

13 Replies

I learned not to wear thick socks the hard way! My favorite socks are made by Darn Tough. I plan on getting a softer boot flex, so I am glad to hear they also contribute to keeping your feet warm. Thanks for letting me know about "hot spots". I've heard of liners that can be heated and molded to your feet. 

I so appreciate all the advice!

Hey @Hayley 

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that REI Virtual Outfitting is now offering Ski Outfitting appointments. They're free and a great way speak one-on-one with an REI Green vest. Hope you have a great upcoming ski season!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks for letting me know! I look forward to talking one on one with someone to find exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you so much for your advice and support on this matter. REI is one of the few companies that offer such exceptional customer service. I'll update on this thread once I purchase something. 

Hey @Hayley,

I wanted to follow back up with you regarding the Virtual Outfitting I mentioned earlier. So, the ski specific outfitting service still does not have hard date--but it sounds like it is going to be unveiled soon. I'd suggest periodically checking on the Virtual Outfitting site, but I'll respond back to this post once the ski outfitting service goes live.

With all that being said, I think you going into your local REI store will be the best way to find the right fitting boot. Also, it would be the easiest option to tailor the right ski gear for your individual needs. My best suggestion is, give yourself time in the store because ski boot fittings can take awhile to compare between different models. 

Once again, I'll message back to this post once I notice that skiing is offered on REI Virtual Outfitting. The 1-on-1 service could be a great companion piece to the store, to help answer your future ski and outdoor related questions. I'm really excited for your upcoming ski season, please update your highlights here on Converstions--we'd all love to hear about it!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.