cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Advice for purchasing Ski Boots: what flex do I need?

Want to buy my first pair of ski boots so I dont have to rent anymore. I am an intermediate skiier and leaning towards the Solomon S/Pro. Question is do I go with an 80 or 90 flex? 

3 Replies

As a female (assuming) intermediate, 80 - 90 is right below expert, so it gives you some room to up your skills in that area.  Keep in mind that flex ratings aren't all the same.   Manufacturers try to get them comparable, but I have a pair at 130 flex that behaves like more of a 110.  If you can, try them on and move your ankles forward to see how the boot responds and how it feels during the movement.

Here is a little snip from Skis.com

"When someone refers to the flex of women’s ski boots, they are referring to how much forward pressure it takes for the boot to bend. The general rule of thumb, the better the skier, the stiffer the boot. This is because a stiffer boot will react quicker to smaller movements made by the skier thus controlling a ski more precisely. The reason that stiff boots aren’t recommended for beginners is that they require more power and technique to flex. An inability to flex the boots will result in an inability to control the skis. On the other hand, ski boots that are too soft are easy to over flex. Over flexing your boots will not only fatigue your muscles sooner, but it will end up leaving you feeling like your skis are non-responsive or slow to turn. So think honestly about your ability when choosing the flex of your new boots."

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Go to a boot fitter. Cut your toenails. Wear actual ski socks.

Ski boots are a prosthetic, not a shoe. Unless you hit a knowledgeable boot seller who isnt going to give you the wrong size boot to start with you will be better off at a boot fitter. It isnt rocket science, but getting it right is important.

A flex rating in a Salomon is not the same as a Lange as is a Diabello.. Also the true flex depends on your weight, your skill, your strength, your age, and your aggression.

Ok, you are an intermediate. Is that a "I do one blue run slowly in a pizza almost every time I ski" or "I got the frys down but still heel kick" or "I ski mostly blue and some single black groomers carving nicely most of the time"  It really makes a difference.

I've been a custom ski boot fitter. Buy a boot for the skill set you want to be, not what you will be this Winter.

The only folks who buy intermediate ski boots are rich people who go skiing once a year for a whole week and never focus on technique.