cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

PNW Tent Recommendations

Anyone have a good lightweight backpacking tent for the PNW? I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Nemo Dagger 2p or the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 (but willing to hear other suggestions). Good rain protection is a must.

0 Likes
6 Replies

PNW Tent Recommendations

@smithjosh024 

Thanks for reaching out!

You'll find that a lot of folks think both of those options are great choices in a backpacking tent, including for the Pacific Northwest. While you will pay a slight weight penalty, you could look at the newly redesigned REI Co-op Half Dome SL 2+ with footprint. It has a bit more space than the two tents you're looking at, it comes with the footprint included, and it has a higher denier fabric in the rainfly, which could be useful here in the rainy Pacific Northwest. Another very popular choice among backpackers is the MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 tent

Do you have an upcoming trip planned for your new tent?

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

PNW Tent Recommendations

@REI-JohnJ - I've been torn between the Big Ag Copper Spur and the Tiger Wall UL 2. Overall weight is important - my tent buddy is 70lb and furry. But that overhang/vestibule on the Copper Spur is appealing, too. Have you heard much about rain protection (or lack of it) for the Tiger Wall? 

0 Likes

PNW Tent Recommendations

@ChelsE 

Thanks for the question!

While I have not heard any feedback about lack of rain protection in the Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL 2 tent@OldGuyot has both a one person Tiger Wall and two person Copper Spur tent and can likely speak more accurately to those details. You can read some of their insight on this thread, Tiger Wall UL 3 person vs Tiger Wall Platinum UL 3?. We'll see if they can swing by this post and provide some insider knowledge.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

PNW Tent Recommendations

I have limited experience with my Tiger Wall in rain but it worked fine in a Sierra squall and hail storm.  It is a popular tent on the PCT.   Possible issue I have heard are that rain can bounce up under the fly and the solid panels of the body are not waterproof. Not sure if that is true.  I didn't have that issue but I was camped in a well drained spot. Also it is semi freestanding and can take longer to set up than the freestanding copper spur.  If you get the factory footprint you can set it up fly first but that feature is probably more practical as fly last to keep the body drier when taking down the tent. The CS has that feature also. The fixed guylines on the TW do need modification to be more adaptable.  Probably true of similar tents. The new CS has those nifty porches which could be nice in the rain. You definately should use some kind of footprint with these tents.

You may want to consider a single wall trekking pole tent since these are naturally fly first and while the must be staked, with practise they can go up very fast...particularly those that use a single pole. They are typically mostly single wall so condensation can be more of an issue.  The Zpacks Altaplex is one example. Made from Dyneema which does not absorb water like nylon used in most lightweight tents but it is expensive and there are some concerns about longer term durability.

0 Likes

PNW Tent Recommendations

@OldGuyot   @REI-JohnJ 

Thanks much for the insights! TBH I think you've convinced me to go with the Copper Spur. The quick setup and freestanding design would make things easier when my dog starts bumping into things. 

Also, really appreciate the info on the trekking pole tents. Definitely something I'll keep in mind when I'm ready to upgrade again. 

0 Likes

PNW Tent Recommendations

I notice you mentioned a large furry companion...and I would caution that Big Agnes and many light weight tents use fairly thin material on their floors.  You will probably want to uses some kind of internal mat to protect the floor from dog claws.  You could make something out of Tyvek or similar.  Tyvek is a bit noisy but if you wash it in a machine,  it quietens down.  Just something to consider.  I have not shared a tent with a dog.

This is separate from a footprint that protect the tent floor and keeps it clean from the ground.