cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Easy hikes near Gig Harbor/Tacoma/Seattle

My grandson, 11 years old, is coming to visit and I would love to take him on an easy hike along a river or up to a lake where he can cross streams or where there is river access to wade in the water. We used to hike Denny Creek all the time—one of our all-time favorites, but it’s difficult for us now.  Something about an hour and a half from Gig Harbor or less?  THANK YOU! 

0 Likes
2 Replies

@BuddyWaters 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I recently moved to the Sumner/Puyallup/Tacoma region with my family so I'm getting familiar with area. One hike we did recently is Little Mashel Falls that sounds like it would be just the ticket for you and your grandson. It's about an hour drive from Gig Harbor and the trail in is mostly crushed rock/hardpack. The short trail down to the falls is steep and has some steps in some places. Depending on what day of the week you go I imagine this would be a really popular hike, however, we went midweek and it wasn't too bad.

Another option would be Dosewallips State Park, which has a campground, hiking trail, and access to the Dosewallips River. On the other side of the road/highway you can get down to the beach and check that out as well. I think Dosewallips is about an hour and a half from Gig Harbor.

Hopefully this helps!

Photo of Little Mashel Falls

littlemashelfalls.jpg

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

THANK YOU!

0 Likes