cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Newbie Mountain Biker Seeking Tips/Advice on Getting Started in NM!

Hi all! 

I recently moved from Colorado to Santa Fe and am seeking any and all advice/tips on getting into mountain biking. I have been a few times before, but would definitely consider myself a beginner. I work in Los Alamos and it seems as though biking in this area is a popular activity- so I'd love to give it a go! If you have any beginner tips or trail recommendations I would greatly appreciate it 🙂 

Cheers,

Ryann 

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hi @ryann_daly - Thanks for reaching out. It's exciting to hear that you've moved down to Santa Fe and are looking to get more into mountain biking!

There is so much to learn about mountain biking in the beginning. I just got a full-suspension bike again this summer after not having one for years, so I understand where you're coming from! As is the case with so many hobbies, I have found great information on YouTube and definitely suggest diving in there to learn about everything from maintenance to riding techniques. REI, Park Tools, and Global Mountain Bike Network are all worth checking out.

One step that can get overlooked during the excitement of getting out and riding is properly fitting your bike. If you have any hesitations about your bike adjustments and/or suspension being right for you, the bike technicians at the Santa Fe REI should be able to help you with those details. If you don't yet have a bike, we also recommend going into the shop and talking through what kind of riding you're interested in to get suggestions on which type of bike will suit your needs. 

Once you're ready to get out on the trails, I recommend La Tierra Trails and Galisteo Basin. Both have good beginner options and are fairly close to your area. 

Hopefully this is a good start!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes
Join the community
Other boards in this category