cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

San Antonio advice!

hey there! 

we are looking at possibly moving to the area this upcoming September from Minneapolis, MN. We have been looking at Austin, San Antonio and Houston. Any advice, why you love that area, reasons to avoid, best outdoor accessibility, and any other things that seem important to know moving to Texas! Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
4 Replies

I vote San Antonio over Houston. Austin over Houston.

San Antonio vs Austin is a toss-up.

San Antonio has the Alamo.  Houston has San Jacinto.

Neither has any backpacking.  You have to drive to Big Bend NP.   Or Colorado or NM.

trivia time: it is farther from Dallas to El Paso, than it is from El Paso to California!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Agree with above choices.  Houston is almost as bad as Dallas, the classic barren wasteland...

There is pretty decent caving accessible from either San Antone or Austin.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Hi @Steph_Keen_ - What a fun question!

I lived in Houston for many years and would agree with @Philreedshikes that San Antonio and Austin both have better outdoor access than Houston does. The Texas Hill Country, west of Austin and north of San Antonio, is well-known for being an incredible area for activities outside, with seemingly endless rolling hills and wide open spaces. It's particularly beautiful while wildflowers are blooming and there are often spectacular sunsets!

The Texas State Park system also has an incredible lineup. Guadalupe River State Park (and the surrounding areas) near San Antonio and and Enchanted Rock State Natural Area closer to Austin are two stand out spots that are nearby, though I strongly recommend browsing all of the state parks to see what catches your eye. Like Phil said, Big Bend is wildly incredible and what I consider a highlight of the state. Palo Duro Canyon and Caprock Canyons State Park are farther north, but should definitely be on your list to check out!

Outdoor access wise, Houston's perks include their city parks and how close you would be to the coast. Galveston Island is the most well-known, but small day-trips to Bolivar Peninsula and other smaller beaches can be lots of fun and tend to have a more open space. Within Houston's city limits, Memorial Park and Buffalo Bayou Park both make getting into vast green areas an everyday option.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks everyone for the replies! We’re hopefully gonna take a trip down there in July to look at some apartments! We have a special opportunity to live in Florida for a little bit so we’re trying to decide between the two! We have until august to figure it all out so we’ll see how it works out! Thanks again everyone!