cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What Gear & Techniques Keep You Running in the Cold?

With the temperatures starting to drop throughout much of the country, we wanted to check in with y'all about your cold weather running plans and the gear that keeps you warm in the months ahead.

featured_sep21_running-cold1.png

There's a perfect temperature that many runners strive for. Getting yours right can lead to going that extra mile, pushing harder on the last hill, or simply enjoying your time out a bit more. When @TomIrvine asked people if they ran through the cold, we heard your thoughts on the infamous mud season as well as how layering is the key to success.

With that, we now want to hear from you about gear and techniques! Do you have a favorite windproof jacket, brand of warm socks, or pair of running gloves? Is there a go-to warm-up routine that gets your body ready for those first frigid minutes? We're excited to hear your tips and answer any questions you have!

Additionally, if it's time for a new pair of running shoes, our Certified Running Coaches are ready to help you understand your gait, foot architecture, and overall body mechanics to help you build a strong foundation for a great run with our Virtual Outfitting - Running Shoe Fit service.

featured_sep21_running-cold.png

What gear and techniques keep you running in the cold? Share your expertise and ask questions below!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
Labels (4)
6 Replies

My neck gaiter has been an absolute game changer.  When the air is very cold and dry, I pull it up over my nose and it helps keep my nose and mouth from getting too dry when I’m running or biking over winter.

It also works great as a headband to keep sweat off of your face.

I still like my OR Helium rain jacket for cold, wet days. It turns miserable conditions into tolerable ones. Of course, I still get wet from sweat on the inside, but at least I'm warm. This jacket gets me out the door.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I also like to have some good eye protection for sun-on-snow and wind-driven precipitation of various kinds.

My favorites for eyewear are the Julbo Aerolights. They have good coverage and aren't to dark for dusky conditions. I often forget I have them on, they are so comfortable.

Living in Minnesota, Merino Wool has become a game changer for me.  It's always the first layer added no matter what sport I'm doing; running or hiking.  I find some of the best deals on Merino Wool at the REI sales.

I find that light gloves (nothing fancy just some cheap liners) and a ear band/warmer help keep my extremities warm and able to stay out longer.