cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Washed out college athlete getting back into running

Hello All!

I am seeking any and all tips on how to get back into running long distances again. 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies

I no longer run for training (back issues), but I used to.  How about starting with shorter distances and working your way up?

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

Hey @kateedi!

I myself am trying to get back into running after being super inactive over the past year or so. This podcast, “Running Slow with Susan Lacke” might be of interest and good place to start as well, especially if you’re learning how to pace yourself and build endurance along the way.

I’ve been perusing the Uncommon Path area a lot lately too as it offers some great tips & tricks and inspirational stories that might help.

Cheering you on and make sure to update all of us on your progress, too!

Ill give that podcast a listen! Thank you!! 😀

0 Likes

Depending on where you are in your journey back you might take a look at the Couch to 5K, Couch to 10K, etc. plans. They help you build back slowly so you don't get injured. I have used it or something similar a few times when coming back from breaks in my running (injury, surgery, etc.) and they are free. You can skip out in the plan to wherever you are in your fitness level.

0 Likes

A rule of thumb that I was giveen some time ago and that has served me well in prepping for marathons and in recovery from cardiac surgery is to increase your weekly mileage by no more than 10% a week...

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.