cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Walking and running gloves!

Hi! I'm looking for gloves that will keep always cold hands warm as it starts to get colder. I'd like to be able to run in them, but they would mostly be used for walking. Being able to use a smartphone with them is definitely a plus. I don't need anything super fancy, something pretty basic will be just fine! Thank you!

0 Likes
5 Replies

@hettochex thanks for reaching out with this question! We've got lots of gloves that will work for what you're describing - warm, touch-compatible, good for running/walking! Here are a few suggestions to consider:

Some runners may find those 2 suggestions to be a bit too bulky, so if you're looking for something a bit less bulky, you might consider:

We hope this helps get you started; let us know if you have any additional questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@hettochex  I recommend you consider mittens rather than gloves.  The activities you mention (walking and running) don't require much in the way of digital dexterity, and mittens are much better at keeping your hands warm.  REI has literally dozens of choices.   

I agree with @duChossois! I personally like to wear a lightweight liner under a mitten. My fingers run cold (and perhaps my circulation isn't what it used to be) so I actually really love winter running in my Outdoor Research Meteor Mitts (yep, these are more like ski/snowboarding mitts) but I will wear them without the bulky fleece under mitt. As a lighter weight option geared more toward running, I have older Saucony running specific mittens that have an ultralight weight over mitt (like a very light shell material) that go over a liner glove. These have also worked for me (surprising warmth for little weight and they really pack down). I can't find them anymore online but the overmitt looks a lot like the Inov-8 All Terrain Pro Mitt. The combo gloves with the mitt piece that you can pull over your fingers (also known as flip mitt) have never worked for me (just not warm enough). Obviously with the heavier mitts, you will have to pop them off to use your phone. Good luck! I'd love to hear what you end up with and if you like them since my old Sauconys sadly are not going to last forever. 

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Sounds similar to what I need for hiking in cold weather and cross-country skiing. I think that moisture transport is one of the most important things you need to worry about when exercising in the cold.

I have found that Gore-Tex windstopper gloves work best. I prefer to have a very thin glove and to have a thin liner as a backup for more warmth. This is what I bring backpacking in the summer in the Sierras. Some of the time I am getting up to 14,000 ft and it's helpful to stay warm in my old hands. I have been Frost nipped too many times and cold can hurt.

I use a lightweight spring skiing glove. I won't quote a brand as I have used a couple different kinds over the years. I am particular about using Gore-tex windstopper. It seems to work best in cold and warm temperatures.

Layers. I use a lightweight liner, and insulation layer, and a waterproof outer glove. I can often use a phone through all three layers. Every time I think of switching to mittens, I need to use a phone, keys, retie my shoes, etc., convincing me to stick with gloves.