cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Trying new altras

I currently run in the paradigm 4.5 and I absolutely love them. Except I've been running on dirt roads a lot and I want to start running on trails. I want to try the Olympus 3.5. It looks like the Altra that might give me some stability. (I over-pronate a lot and the paradigms have been great for that.) However, I wear a size 9 in the paradigms but I've always worn an 8.5 in everything else. I know the paradigms run short so I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Olympus and knew if ran short as well? I've also thought about trying the provision and wasn't sure how that ran either so I'd love advice on that too. 

Cheers! 

0 Likes
2 Replies

Trying new altras

Hi @Former community member!

The Olympus 3.5 is Altra's most cushioned trail shoe. While trail shoes don't typically feature devices to help control over-pronation, its cushion and wide base should provide some significant stability on all kinds of trails. 

Based on the reviews of this shoe on REI.com and elsewhere, it sounds like most customers have had to size up a half size in the Olympus. I'd recommend purchasing a 9, similar to the Paradigm. Should you find it's the wrong size, we're happy to help you exchange for the correct size via mail, or in our retail locations once they reopen. 

The Altra Provision 4 is considered a lightweight road shoe with stability features to control over-pronation. While you could use the shoe on light trail or dirt like most road shoes, I wouldn't recommend it for more technical trails as the outsole rubber isn't designed for grip and traction on those surfaces. A rough equivalent to the Provision in terms of its weight, cushion and fit would be the Altra Superior

For what it's worth, I wear a women's 10 in the Altra Timp 2 with the sockliner (the fabric insert inside of the shoe) removed, and have found that the Altra Provision 4 in a size 9.5 fits me best. Most of my running shoes are between a 9.5-10.5. 

I hope this is enough information to help you consider whether the Olympus is right for you. See you on the trails!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Trying new altras

"Based on the reviews of this shoe on REI.com and elsewhere, it sounds like most customers have had to size up a half size in the Olympus. I'd recommend purchasing a 9, similar to the Paradigm. Should you find it's the wrong size, we're happy to help you exchange for the correct size via mail, or in our retail locations once they reopen."

Great advice! I'll take note of that.

0 Likes