cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Sore nipple solution

From what I understand, this is a particularly male problem: sore nipples when running - especially in hot sweaty weather.  I have battled this problem and sought ideas on the internet and have finally settled on my own favorite solution: two small squares of Nexcare Absolute Waterproof Tape.  You can find it in the band-aid section of the pharmacy.  I get the 1" tape.  This tape stays on all day if I need it to, and it protects the nips 100%.

Other things I have tried:

- Second Skin Liquid Bandage - worked most of the time, but I wondered if it was wise to keep applying this toxic-smelling substance to my skin day-after-day.

- Body-Glide - worked sometimes, but left greasy stains on my shirts.

- Bandaids - worked, but expensive.

- KT Tape - worked, but expensive.

Happy Running Everyone!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
4 Replies

When I was "jogging" I would wear an Under Armour compression shirt.  I called it my "man bra".  Seemed to stop the wobble.  I never had a problem with nipple chafing wearing those.  But...I only ran up to about 8 miles at a time at a fairly gentle lope so my experience may be more limited.

Glad you added this OldGuyot.  I actuall did have some success with this method as well - I just didn't like having to have that many compression shirts available for the rotation.

0 Likes

I also think tape is the best option.  I've tried body glide, gold bond friction defense, chamois butt'r but just plain old athletic tape has worked the best for me.  I haven't had any issues with waterproofing but may need that in a more humid climate

Yeah - I don't know if the waterproofing is an important factor - it was just on hand and I gave it a try.

0 Likes