cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Seeking recommendations for strength workouts for runners

What are some strength workouts or workouts to do on days you're not running to improve your running or endurance and strength?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @knunez001! On my off days of running, I either do yoga or come up with my own WOD that's focused on building up my core and legs. I find it really important to incorporate yoga to make sure I'm stretching out and getting in some extra core strength. It also helps me focus on my breathing, which I find helpful when I take on longer runs. Lately, I've been enjoying CorePower Yoga's Sculpt classes that are available online right now--they've been releasing new classes each week. As for my WODs, I usually do 4-5 rounds of 4-6 exercises, usually between 20-30 reps per exercise depending what it is. Right now my exercises have been focused a lot on body weight because I have limited equipment at my house. Some of my go-to exercises are mountain climbers, squat jumps, jumping lunges, plank dips, burpees, push-ups, v-ups and chair dips. Hope that helps ignite some ideas for you! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
4 Replies

Hi @knunez001!

The answer here varies from runner to runner depending on the runner's long-term goals, and how much running is done during the week. For instance, a runner who runs 5-6 days may choose to focus only on strength training with minimal cardio/explosive moves to rest. But, for runners running 3-4 days a week, strength training could be combined with a non-running cardio activity such as rowing, swimming, or even hiking. 

For all runners, core work, and work on the muscles in the running chain (glutes-hamstrings-quads) are beneficial no matter how long or how far you go. Check out this workout from Outside Magazine as an example. 

For me, since I don't have access to a gym at the moment, I do simple lunges and squats to strength train on my off days. I enjoy pendulum lunges to promote strength and balance, and squats because I can do them right in my home. I don't have free weights, so sometimes if I want an extra challenge with squats, I'll fill two water bottles and hold them in front of me during the exercise.

I know that there are many runners in our community who have other ideas on great exercises, but hopefully this gets you started!

Thanks so much! 

Hi @knunez001! On my off days of running, I either do yoga or come up with my own WOD that's focused on building up my core and legs. I find it really important to incorporate yoga to make sure I'm stretching out and getting in some extra core strength. It also helps me focus on my breathing, which I find helpful when I take on longer runs. Lately, I've been enjoying CorePower Yoga's Sculpt classes that are available online right now--they've been releasing new classes each week. As for my WODs, I usually do 4-5 rounds of 4-6 exercises, usually between 20-30 reps per exercise depending what it is. Right now my exercises have been focused a lot on body weight because I have limited equipment at my house. Some of my go-to exercises are mountain climbers, squat jumps, jumping lunges, plank dips, burpees, push-ups, v-ups and chair dips. Hope that helps ignite some ideas for you! 

Wow thank you!! So helpful!! Can’t wait to get started!