cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Replacing my pair of Altra Timps, any suggestions for cushioning and support?

I want to replace my Altra Timp trailrunners for women.  I want good cushioning and support.  Any suggestions?

3 Replies

@ERP Thanks for reaching out!

We're going to tag one of our running shoe experts, @REI-PearlD, here to see what input she may have. We have also moved this post to the Running Board so other members of the community may weigh in with their opinions.

Hopefully we can get a good conversation going!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi @ERP !

The Altra Timp is considered a medium-cushioned shoe in Altra's lineup. If you want to stick with zero drop and a maximum cushion, I would recommend the Altra Olympus. Don't be fooled by the way the shoe looks--despite the beefy cushion, you sit inside the shoe, as if in a cup, which promotes stability.

I would also recommend the Brooks Cascadia 14. I use both the Timp and the Cascadia, and find that the Cascadia is a more stable shoe, though it feels less cushioned to me than the Timp. Still, Brooks considers it a cushioned shoe in it's trail run lineup. The toebox is plenty wide, so it won't be a tough transition from the Timp in terms of the way that the forefoot feels. I did find that I had to put about 25 miles on the Cascadia before it became flexible enough for my gait, but they're still my go-to shoe for technical trail and snow running with MicroSpikes. 

Hope these ideas help!

0 Likes

@ERP thanks for replying to us via email. We are copying your response over to the community so @REI-PearlD (and others in the community) can weigh in further:

"Thanks for your input. 

I didn't think they were still around, but I did find size 7 Timps again and reordered another pair.  I can use them for every day use if they don't work out so well on the trails.  I love my Timps, but I feel a stiffer/thicker Vibram-like sole is what I need now for the very rocky and rooty  trails we're using most of the time.  I feel each bump in the road in the soft Timp soles. 

So, I'd like your input into replacing my light day hiker boots:

I have my old Keen boots that I'm trying to give a bit more longevity to, by getting the skinniest superfeet inserts -chartreuse colored- (my feet are now bigger than they were when I initially got the Keens).  Maybe the inserts will work just fine & I can hold off on new boots.  (It's so hard for me to shop for shoes online.)  But do you have any ideas on a light day hiker, with reasonable stability for a weak ankle and a wide foot -maybe a C width (& I've had 2 sprains since 2016.)

Thanks,

ERP"

0 Likes