cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Inserts for running shoes?

I have PTT. I find that inserts for PF are too harsh. I successfully use Birkenstock inserts for winter hiking boots. Struggling with finding the correct support for running shoes. Motion control shoes do not provide support where I need it. Neutral is too big of a gap. Adding support to motion control is too much. I’m thinking neutral with an insert would be about right. Which do you recommend? [(FYI I wear Babolot for tennis with an Orthoheel insert). My Oboz summer hiking shoes were wonderful for first 6 months - but the insole broke down quickly. Pedag leather 3/4 works well for me in casual shoes.]
I hope you have some ideas! I’m frustrated with paying $$$ for shoes and spending $$ for inserts. Help!

0 Likes
2 Replies

@nycmaureen - I had to look up PTT, so I don't really have experience with your condition, but I have had my own foot issues - an extremely high arch in my case. I have found that a good podiatrist can often solve problems without surgeries or medications (like cortisone).

I am on my feet all day, standing on a carpeted concrete floor as a teacher. I also run after school. I have tried lots of different inserts and lots of different running sneakers. For the last five years, I have been happily running with some neutral cushion Altras, with prescription insoles. 

In my experience (two decades of running) proper form has made a bigger difference than anything else.

I have not found a solution that does not involve $$$.

Hope some other experienced folks jump on this thread.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

This is such a tough topic. What works for one person just does not work for another.

I have made a living as a custom boot fitter for skiers. I have been trained in making custom footbeds to a level that chiropractors were sending their clients to me. Most of the products I made would not work for me because of my unique foot problems. Every time we went to a new boot fitting class I was usually the example of the worst kind of foot to work with.

That all said, the best product that has worked for me is DownUnders. They are mid-range in price for store-bought.

Sorry to say, but trial and error was the only way that worked for me. Good luck.

0 Likes