cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Foam Roller - before or after a run?

For some reason, I always get calf stiffness during the colder months.  I have experimented with a home-made roller (PVC pipe w/ensolite foam glued to it) and recently bought a nice trigger point one.

You can find plenty of videos on the TP website for how to use them, but they say nothing about before or after a run.  Maybe it does not matter?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
3 Replies

I have always done it after my exercise but that was based on advice from a friend.  Never thought about doing it prior to exercise.   Very good question, I look forward to other answers on this thread.   

Well, after four weeks, I have settled into an after-workout roller routine. I mostly use it for my calves and it's done me a LOT of good.

Pretty uncomfortable - even painful - at first, but I'm getting better at it.

0 Likes

I foam roll, stretch and use a stick roller (I like “The Stick” which you can find on Amazon) after every single run, especially after long runs. I find that it helps significant with recovery in addition to general flexibility. I’ve had knee injuries caused by calf, IT band and hip tightness before and the stick helped significantly with my calves and IT band. Highly recommend!