cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Favorite music or podcasts while running

Do you prefer to listen to music (or podcasts?!) while running?  If so, what is your go-to music or podcast genre to get you in the groove? 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
21 Replies

I like all kinds of music, but surprisingly settle into longer runs with the help of artists like Buble or Avett Bro. For audiobooks, it’s weird but I like the Zombie apocalypse genre. For podcasts, which are increasingly my go to, I like to hear from disciplines people, such as D Goggins or Jocko.

I never listen to anything other than nature sounds while on the trails. I DO train in my hilly neighborhood during the week sometimes and will listen to ultrarunning podcasts during those runs.

@REI-HeatherH I don't listen to anything while running on the trails (aside from nature itself) but will often listen to podcasts or audio books while running around town. 

Music when I run on the roads, but not on the trails.

I have a pretty diverse musical taste, but it definitely leans more toward the metal/sludge/punk/psychedelic side. I do blast some Christmas music from time to time, especially during the brutal summers...helps keep me cool psychologically 😉

I find it really messes up my cadence, and takes me out of the experience. But, I know there is a sharp divide on music in the running community, and I don't begrudge anyone enjoying theirs - so long as they can still hear me!

(It is absolutely impossible to pass a trail runner with both headphones in and the volume cranked.)

I'm with @Elena and @StatenIslander on this one. In wilderness, I'm disinclined to listen to anything, generally. In settled lands, I'm all about the audiobooks, dozens  per year. I find that music makes me too hyper-aware of the rhythm of my steps vs. the music. And in hilly areas or when I have to adapt to roads/traffic/other humans, my pacing is never going to be consistent to a beat.

I'm a music person x 10000 while running.  Usually I need something exceptionally upbeat to keep me and my dying lungs going the distance.  I'd love to get into Podcasts while running but I don't think I could think that deeply while running hard miles. 

0 Likes

I prefer to listen to music when I run, although I don't have a specific genre as I am a "mood listener." I have listened to everything from Christian to country to jazz to rock.  Whatever I am feeling at that time is what motivates me and helps me maintain a pace. Running for me is an escape so podcasts don't work as well. And when I run trails I don't like to have headphones in, both for safety and to be able to enjoy the quiet sounds of everything around me.  Very relaxing!

0 Likes

Depends on my mood. I got inbetween podcasts and music but for longer runs sometimes I just really like the freedom of nothing in my ears. 

I listen to both music and podcasts, but trending more towards pods. This is going to sound like a plant but "Wild Ideas Worth Living" (brough to you by REI) always puts me in a good mood and motivates me. Every episode is an interview with an influential/creative/innovative person, almost always involved in the outdoors somehow. Highly recommend.

0 Likes