cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Do You Run Through the Winter?

Even though it's spring, the snow's coming down at an admirable rate as I write this. A little April Fools joke from Mother Nature I suppose.

I for one, actually prefer winter weather for running. The ice and slop is kinduva drag, but there is bare pavement or hardpacked snow often enough, and I just love the cold air for a workout. Winter is when I really get into longer distances and hill repeats.

Plus, dramatic weather has a way of turning an ordinary run into a badass adventure. I like getting slapped around by the elements for a bit (then coming back to the house for a hot shower).

In fact, I think summer is my least favorite time for running.

Anyone else?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
7 Replies

In my experience, cold weather is much easier to handle than hot weather (mostly experience in southern Arizona).  You can always add layers, but you can only strip down so far....

Ideal temp for  a marathon is 50F.  Spectators are cold but for runners it is just right,,,,

Running in winter is easier than during mud season...  I do question runs when it's 15 though.  Sometimes the sun and lack of wind makes it hard to resist.

Agree with the above.  It's easier to run in cooler temperatures than in hotter ones.  I do kind of hate running head on into cold winds, though.  Drys out my contacts.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978

I enjoy running in the snow as long as it's not too windy. 20-30 degrees is my sweet spot for cold weather running. 30-40 degrees is tough for me because I tend to overheat in my layers around that temperature.

That being said, I learned to love running while I was living in the deep south, so I hold a very unpopular love for warm weather running, especially in 60-80 degree weather. As long as I don't go too fast and stay hydrated, I'm happy!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Agreed that cold weather is easier to prepare for than hot. You can't dress for heat, as they say. You can, but nothing you can wear is actually going to make 105 degrees comfortable unless you happen to really love running when it's 105. I have and I found it way harder than any day I've run at minus 10 degrees F. 

I will confess that as I get older, I am raising the lowest temp at which I will run outside.  Used to be minus 20. Nowadays, I don't wanna run if it's below 0 F. I will if I'm meeting people, but I will wuss out if it's just a regular training run or nothing crucial like a 20-miler.

Distance running dad. Talks too much about Montana. Bad fly fishing lover.

I no longer run, but do try to walk 5 miles everyday, and agree with all of the above!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Agree with above. I would rather it be cold and layer up than it be miserable and hot. That said, I get really specific about what layers I take with me and how I layer. The only issue for me running in cold weather is I hate wearing a beanie and so my head will eventually get cold, but that is less important to me than wearing gloves for my hands.

Texas Wanderer