cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Can you wear Altra shoes with orthotics?

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience wearing Altra shoes with custom orthotics.  I like the idea of the spread toebox, but I'm wondering how that will work with orthotics.  Anyone have experience with this?

6 Replies

I wear Altra Escalantes with custom orthos and have no problems.  I also wear the Altra Superiors for trail running - no troubles there either.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Thanks for the info.

0 Likes

Hi @RDH!

Altra shoes are known for their foot-shaped toe box, which is meant to really let the runner's foot splay in the shoe. I find they're really comfortable for my trail runs! 

According to Altra's website, you can wear orthotics in their shoes. The website will tell you that orthotics are a tool to strengthen the feet, and that they can be phased out as feet become stronger over time. However, I would recommend following any doctor or podiatrist direction and recommendation first when deciding to discontinue the use of orthotics. 

Let us know if you decide to test your orthotics in a pair of Altras! See you outside!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I bought a pair of Altra trail running shoes a couple of months ago and have been wearing them with my orthotics for hiking. No problem.  In fact, my problem of sore toes after a hike has been resolved.  I had intended to get a pair of Altra hiking shoes but couldn't find any I liked. Although the trail runners are ok, I feel they are a bit light for hiking. So I  just bought a pair of Altra hiking shoes from REI online. They are still light but a bit heavier than the trail runners.   I'm still wearing them in (with my orthotics) in at home right now before trying on a real hike.

0 Likes

hoka has wide toeboxes and about 100 times more padding & comfort, they also have no questions asked returns.I usually buy mine from REI, however, the hoka website has a larger variety of hiking, backpacking, trail running, wide toe, narrow toe and a bunch more (of course)

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

I was running in Hoka Bondi 5s and my PT recommended wearing "Correct Toes" and wearing shoes with wider type boxes in general (not specifically directed at the Hokas).  

I got the Correct Toes and looked on their website list of shoes that would accommodate them. Altras were in it.  I picked up a pair of the Altra Torin Plush shoes at REI and they are even more cushioning and comfortable than my Hokas!

I wear my orthotics in them, too, as recommended by my PT.

I also love the zero drop of the Altras, I took 2-3 weeks to totally switch over.

0 Likes