cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Oregon Coast Road Trip

We're doing the 'Great American Road Trip' this summer to the Oregon Coast. What are some recommendations for hikes and things to explore at or near the Oregon Coast? Looking for some great suggestions!

Labels (1)
5 Replies

Not a hike - but make a stop at Tillamook

and if you want to stop at Haystack rock - the parking around there is a bit limited, so make a plan (we ended up doing a drive by only)

The beach walk at Ft Stevens by the shipwreck was cool & Astoria was a nice town to spend a night in.

We only did the Northern part of your trip, not the whole thing, and are not locals, so hopefully others can chime in. 

I agree definitely look into Tillamook. It goes into history of cheese and dairy. A walk thru story. And lots of cheese for sale and a gift shop. There’s a good photo spot too. 

id travel along the coast and camp a lot. 

Astoria has the street car ride along the riverfront...very good for local history. There's the Flavel House Museum and the Maritime Museum, and the best fish and chips are at the Bow Picker just across the street...gotta eat there! Also, a great view of the Columbia River from the Astoria Column.

Fort Stevens is just south...wonderful camping and bicycling. Get a pic in front of the Peter Iredale before it completely rusts away. Battery Russell is the military side of the Fort. Definitely worth a visit.

Also, if you're into Lewis and Clark, Fort Clatsup is where they spent the winter on the coast. There's a reconstruction of the fort and a nice museum.

Saddle Mountain is the main local hike. I haven't done it, but it's a classic I hope to do soon.

the Oregon coast is amazing - I'd even say "breath-taking"...but don't miss going inland especially to the Columbia River Gorge with it's many waterfalls...and Portland is an interesting and very walkable city if you're into "urban hiking"...and, you will also be a stones throw from some of the best wineries in the country in the Willamette Valley...

I second this! I just came back from an Oregon roadtrip and stopped in the town of Hood River, right along the Columbia River Gorge. Lots of great hiking there and right near the Bridge of the Gods. 

Join the community
Other boards in this category