cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Training Advice for Mt. Humphrey's

Hi!

I am wanting to train for Mt. Humphrey's in the Spring and would love any tips on how to prepare for that over the next few months. Based off the advice I received from my local store associates in Chandler, AZ for Flat Iron I was able to crush that after prepping for 3 months (I'm from the midwest and often hike solo so I like feeling confident before trying something out). Is there a list of hikes here surrounding the Phoenix area that would be good to start ticking off as the Spring approaches? Any cross training tips?

I have looked at people's blogs/websites but nothing really for newcomers.

Thanks for anything you have to suggest!

13 Replies

One additional tidbit.  Hunphreys is a volcano.  once you done one, you have done them all.  Fugi, Sunset Crater,  Orizaba, Popo - nice gradual slope, maybe a crevasse or two if glaciated - basically walk ups, but inspiring and a good outing.

Have Fun!!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@Philreedshikes haha! My pack weight isn't always that heavy, but depending on the excursion (if there is technical rock work involved, if I have to carry all of my water for the entire trip, how much camera gear I am bringing, for a few examples), and if I am carrying gear for others (or extra gear in case of emergencies in group settings), my pack can easily become that heavy!

www.brynsharpphotography.com

0 Likes

I like your technique of enhancing pack weight for training, and it should help, but for  one day ascent of no more than a normal day hike pack is necessary - ten essentials plus a bit of extra clothing - may 25 pounds max.

@hikermor agreed! 25 lb max. is a great target weight for the purposes of this excursion!

www.brynsharpphotography.com

0 Likes
Join the community
Other boards in this category