cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Tips for hiking through the hot desert

I was struggling to make it through the pct the desert portion anyways. I have had heat exhaustion twice in my life and wanted any tips on how I could make it through the desert portion of the pct. any little thing could help! Could I hike halfway through the night and halfway through the day? Or perhaps something else any advice would be nice!!

3 Replies

HitManDan, that sounds like a great adventure! I hope you can make it ok.

I have not hiked the PCT (it's on my bucket list), but I was born and raised in the Atacama desert, where I took my first steps hiking and backpacking. I think your idea of hiking part of the night and/or the early morning is a sound one. In general, for traveling through desert they recommend avoiding the hours between 11am and 4pm; perhaps you could take a long lunch-break between those hours? If you decide to hike at night, make sure the trail is safe (don't forget extra batteries for your headlamp!).

One key contributor to heat exhaustion is dehydration. You can't do much about the temperature, but you can do a lot to keep yourself hydrated, drinking as much water as you can at water stops, so you don't have to carry that water in your backpack (also, better to avoid sugary drinks or snacks). Head cover and loose clothes are a must; I even wear different hiking shoes in hot weather (airy sneakers or sandals), for in my case I tend to release a lot of body heat through my feet. Remember that you need to sweat profusely to keep your body temperature in check. Sweat is your friend!

I hope you update us about how your trip goes.

Farther. Higher. Longer.
0 Likes

Good advice from David M.  I have extensive summer hiking in S. Arizona and elsewhere in the state'  An early start really helps begin about 2 or 3 in the morning and hike until 9 AM or so.

On an archaeological dig at the bottom of Grand Canyon, we were on site at 4:30 AM, working until noon, rested through the afternoon and returned to the job after dinner for a couple of hours.

Pay attention to the weather forecast - some days are cooler than others.  And stay hydrated....

A full rim hat, preferably cotton, soaked in water, makes a big difference when it gets hot.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Sounds like the guy who goes to the doctor and says: "It hurts when I do this", and the doctor says: "Don't do that."